Wednesday 6 May 2015

Fairytales: The Three Little Pigs

 This past week we started a fairytale unit!  We began by recording on post it notes what we thought we knew about fairytales.  It is always interesting to see what we think we know and then see how our thinking changes as we learn more about things.

 Here is our thinking of what makes a fairytale.







After our brainstorm  we read the original version of The Three Little Pigs.  Then we completed a chart that listed some of the characteristics of the story.


The next day we read a  'fractured' version of the same story and compared it to the original version.
We made a Venn Diagram of the two stories and we noticed many similarities and some differences between the two stories!
Then we learned a very catchy song called "The Three Little Pigs Blues."  It's a song with a great beat that had us singing along by the second verse!

Finally, with the help of our buddies, we created our own pigs.  We had to think about which material we would use to build our house if we were a little pig and then write a reason for making that choice!  We came up with some very good choices and reasons for making that choice!

If I was a pig I would build a house of bricks with monsters all around it because the monsters would  scare the wolf and he would run away!
                                                                                                        







                                           
                           If I was a pig I would build a house of iron because it is strong and safe!

If I was a pig I would build a house with an iPad because the wolf would play it and forget about me!


If I was a pig I would build a house of bricks because I would be safe.

If I was a pig I would build a house of candy because the wolf would eat all the candy and he would get fat and then I would roll him to the lake and then he would float away!



Which materials would YOU use to build a house strong enough to withstand the huffing and puffing of the big, bad wolf?


No comments:

Post a Comment