Tuesday 6 November 2012

Math Fun!

We have been learning many number strategies over the past few weeks.  Some of the ones we have learned include:
  • counting on (start with the biggest number and count on when adding).  We also learned you don't have to recount the first number, you can just add on!
  • fact families
  • if you know that 2+3=5 then you also know that 3+2=5 and 5-3=2 and 5-2=3we know that if you are subtracting you have to start with the biggest number.
  • doubles and doubles +1; that means if I know that 6+6=12 then 6+7 must be one more (13)
  • doubles are really easy for us to remember so we try to "look for doubles" whenever possible 
  •  see 10
Yesterday we learned how to "see 10" using 10 frames and to think of numbers as 10 + ___.  For examples 13 = 10+3 more
















 






Today we played a game called Five Towers.  We rolled took turns rolling dice to make 5 towers.  We each of us had 5 towers we recorded the numbers in our math books.  Then we had to regroup each tower so they had 10 and then record how many groups of 10 we had and how many leftovers.  We had lots of fun!











Do you use any number strategies when you are working with numbers?

1 comment:

  1. Hello King Cobras!

    I loved reading about all of the math strategies you have been learning! It is amazing to think about how many different strategies we can use when we are working with numbers. My favourite strategy is seeing tens. When I am adding two large numbers, I always try to see tens and then add the other numbers after. I sometimes call 10 a"friendly number" because it helps me when I am doing math. I hope you can teach your big buddies how to play five towers one day soon!

    From your buddy teacher,
    Mrs. Chapman

    ReplyDelete